The growth of mold and mildew will always be a big issue for property owners. They can destroy the integrity of one’s property and even put one’s health at risk, but what is black mold? In a nutshell, it is made up of several species of toxic mold that thrives in humid environments but most professionals focus on specific type: Stachybotrys chartarum. It can be recognized by their greenish-black color on the surfaces they grow on.
How dangerous is black mold? As we have mentioned above, they are toxic. Hence, exposure to them can lead to different health issues. On top of that, they can also aggravate existing medical conditions. Don’t worry, we’re going to talk more about what these are in a bit, and most importantly, how to get rid of black mold.
BLACK MOLD SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS
It is important to note, though, that not all types of mold are toxic. Some can simply cause mild allergies. But this doesn’t mean that you should ignore their presence. It is crucial to identify the typical signs of black mold infestation.
The first tell-tale sign is its color. It can be distinguished by its black or greenish-black hue. There are certain species, though, that manifest with a grayish color and a powdery texture.
TOXIC BLACK MOLD SYMPTOMS
Aside from the visual cues as your toxic black mold grow in clusters, you can also identify that there is black mold growth in your home with its strong distinguished odor. The smell can be pretty hard to miss, but we certainly recommend getting the help of a professional when in doubt.
HEALTH EFFECTS OF BLACK MOLD
Aside from the signs we have mentioned above, though, another tell-tale clue that you might have a black mold issue is that you might sneeze or start wheezing the moment you step inside a room with this type of mold infestation. Speaking of which, here are other black mold health effects.
Black mold exposure can immediately lead to:
- Nose stuffiness
- Skin irritation
- Eye irritation
- And sneezing and wheezing as we have mentioned above.